LIFE THRU LUMIA 900 - 1

So this is it, let me introduce myself first, I am David Estrada, a graphic designer from Colombia and I dreamed of being able to do this blog entry for many weeks and thanks to Sarah from Nokia Connects and Nokia Conversations I have the chance.

I will start sharing from the very first moment I have this phone in my hands. The arrival and the 8 steps to unpack your Lumia 900 :)
   
           
While the phone was charging I couldn't avoid the excitement and this feeling of having a device from the future, compared to my Nokia N97 which has been restarting itself for months and which design is sooo 2000's haha, plus its thickness and the plastic cover feels so old, although I love it for the Carl Zeiss 5mp camera and its keyboard but it's just not compared to the one-piece device made of polycarbonate and its Gorilla Glass screen, I have to admit I was expecting it to be black but I've seen the dummy model of a black Lumia 800 in the shop and I have to say the Lumia 900 in glossy white is just A M A Z I N G, looks so modern, feels so good in the hand, despite what other people say about handling it with one hand I think the size is just perfect and I can perfectly reach the volume, block and camera buttons with NO problem, some people just complain too much in some reviews (I've watched tons of them on youtube) but it's more a question of likes. Talking of its physical appearance I Loved this phone when I first held it in my hands, the weight is just enough, I tried it right away in my pocket and it felt comfy, as a designer I think it's aesthetic and the contrast of the very black screen (not greyish as other phones) with the glossy white cover is perfect.

Once the phone was charged I got amazed of how beautiful, brightful, colorful and simple the Windows Phone platform is. I love the minimalist design of the interface. I slid thru the Live tiles, checked Settings, theme colors, sounds, battery saver until I opened the first app, and it was the Nokia Music, I had no data plan at that time, cause I had to go to the shop and get my sim card cut to mini.
I created the wifi connection and  searched thru this app to find out it also works offline hehe, very useful if you're sick of playing your same favourite songs over and over, the interface keeps the line of WP and it's incredibly good looking. 

The next step was to link my accounts, windows live, facebook, twitter and gmail, and I discovered this People app which is, so far, the best social app I've tried to keep in touch with my friends, there you can search their news on social networks, you can chat, send email and call from it, no need to even bother to open another app to check on them, Amazing.

After checking the People hub and getting lost with it for some time, I opened the camera and clueless what to choose for the subject of the first picture to test the capability of the 8mp Carl Zeiss camera I took...THIS ONE. (Thanks to lumia900 and its LED flash I knew how dusty my keyboard is, kinda embarrasing hehe)

I really liked the detail it gives even in low light situations, I even tried doing a video with and without flash and the 720p looks pretty good, the sound quality of the videos is ok, not noisy and the stability, of course, depends on you but It looked really really good, so far the best phone camera I've tried. I passed some music onto the phone and yes, it took me some time to learn how to handle Zune software but it's just something you can get used to in 3-4 days of use, at least in my case that's how much time I needed 'cause I don't complain about it now, but as symbian user it is one of those things you miss, with time you can find it easy and familiar.
I went to the shop to get my Sim card cut, and the guy who attended me was amazed by the Lumia 900 design. He said it was the first time he had seen it in white color and he even called his workmates to see it, they all wanted to feel it in their hands, one also tried it in his pocket haha and said it felt more compact than some S3 device. Then we agreed it was a shame that Tigo (the phone company I use) doesn't sell it, only the competition, I asked when would it available for them, but they replied to have no idea when it's coming, sad. Then I received my first call and walking with it in hand attracted so many curious eyes (It still does until today) I guess it's for its white color, its rectangle design...or just because it's simply beautiful and it has a spectacular design that doesn't have problems with other's patents. :p

I still have  a lot of things to share about this experience, I hope it's not wrong to say I am in love with this phone...It's just a relationship I don't want to end.






Comments

  1. Hi David, I just bought a white Nokia Lumia 900 (white) this week. I have to agree with you about how great the phone looks and feels. My N8 that I've had for the past two years really looks old beside it. There are some features of Symbian that I miss that Windows doesn't have but forward ho, into the future I go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts